GOLF COURSES ON THE COAST OR IN THE MOUNTAINS
excellent greens and panoramic views
Settling for lesser links may seem like par for the course for many traveling golfers, but those vacationing in Greater Portland with clubs in tow will marvel at the opportunities here. Excellent courses, stunning backdrops and vacation-friendly resorts are just part of the Maine experience for the golf enthusiast.
Challenging holes with a sea breeze? Teeing off in the shadow of Maine’s most famous mountain range? Championship courses? The Maine golf experience provides these rare treats and more.
stay & play
Visitors will find resorts and country clubs that attract golfers with seaside courses, mountain vistas, Stay & Play packages, and dining and function facilities that are open to the public. Visiting golfers can seek out a course for every budget and skill level through Maine Golf, which represents Maine’s finest public access courses. Find the ideal course for you through their website!
- There are over 130 courses in Maine…from Fort Kent to Kittery.
- About 74,000 people play golf in Maine.
- Maine golf courses employ more people than 5,600 people.
- Maine golf courses have an economic impact in Maine of just under $500 million which places it above downhill skiing and snowmobiling.
- 90% of Maine’s golf courses are public placing it third in the United States behind Alaska and Montana for most public golf.
- More than half of Maine’s golf courses are 9-holes which place it 6th in the US for 9-hole courses.
- Maine Golf (formerly the Maine State Golf Association) was incorporated in 1917 which is old considering the USGA and PGA were formed in 1916.
- Maine Golf has a large non-profit scholarship fund and provides our young golfers with two- and four-year scholarships since 1950. Last checked they were second to the George Mitchell Scholarship for most money awarded annually.
More Maine Golfing Adventures
From the mountains to the sea, and everywhere in between, Maine golf courses offer everything wonderful about Maine. Learn more about all things Maine golf below.
If you’re planning a getaway this fall, put Portland on your list. This coastal city provides the backdrop for a spectacular Fall show.
The diversity of scenery in Portland makes for a tough decision when it comes to a stroll or a hike in and around the city.