IN THIS ISSUE
- Partner of the Month
- Portland Ballot Questions
- Industry Trends
- Who Are Our Volunteers?
- Tourism & Hospitality Marketing Conference
- Congratulations to Ed Palmer
- Passing of Bob Smith
- Twelve Made Top 50
PARTNER OF THE MONTH
The Partner of the Month is chosen by Visit Portland staff based on community involvement, local tourism efforts, and engagement of the Visit Portland Partnership.
And it’s a surprise…could it be you?
UNDERSTANDING THE 13 PORTLAND BALLOT QUESTIONS
If you live in Portland, own a business in Portland, work in Portland, or know people who do, you must watch this Eggs n’ Issues discussion to understand the upcoming public initiatives being presented on the November ballot. This panel highlighted how this package harms workers, small businesses, homeowners, and all who have a stake in the future of Portland. (video)
INDUSTRY TRENDS IN THE NEWS
- New Research Reveals 87 Percent of Hotels Still Struggle With Staffing Shortages (More)
- CDC Ends Country-by-Country Covid Guidelines for Travelers (More)
- Portland ranked among top 10 U.S. small cities (More)
- The State of the American Traveler in October 2022—Valuing Travel in a Recession + Dealing with Natural Disasters (More)
- Hotels Cater to Corporate Groups More Interested in Team Bonding Than Boardrooms (More)
APPRECIATING OUR VOLUNTEERS
We are proud to have a great group of volunteers, managed by Richard Leeman, Director of Visitor Services. Helping our visitors day in and day out provides a positive first impression of our community. We have started featuring these fantastic people; take a look at who they are. More will be added weekly.
TOURISM & HOSPITALITY MARKETING CONFERENCE
Maine-Stay 2022 is Maine’s first marketing conference built especially for the tourism and hospitality industry. You know this conference is for you if:
- If you own a business, are a leader, or are a marketing pro in the tourism and hospitality industry.
- If you want to boost your business’s social media presence.
- If you have a small staff or a team of hundreds.
- If you’re wondering how to best use the Maine Office of Tourism data to improve your marketing strategy.
- If you want to know what today’s pros in digital marketing are doing to increase engagement and drive bookings and sales.
- If you want to connect with other industry professionals.
- If you are looking to better your recruitment efforts and keep employees longer.
CONGRATULATIONS ED PALMER
Congratulations to Ed Palmer, General Manager of the Sheraton at Sable Oaks, for his retirement this month. Ed spent 42 years with Ocean Properties and 26 serving on the Visit Portland board. We are grateful for the dedication that Ed has provided to our organization and wish him a successful, fun-filled retirement.
We are sad to share the passing of Bob Smith. Bob was best known as the Lighthouse Keeper, watching over his guests at Sebasco Harbor Resort for over 24 years, a role for which he was recognized by the New England Inns & Resorts Association with the coveted Master of New England Innkeeping Lifetime Achievement Award.
For those close to Bob, there will be a celebration of his life at DiMillo’s on the Water in Portland.
Oct. 21 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Share memories of Bob or leave the family an online condolence.